Uganda: 17 people died after drinking gin mixed with poison

News » Incidents

 Uganda: 17 people died from drinking gin mixed with poison < /p>

At least 17 people have died and several others have been hospitalized in Uganda after drinking gin mixed with methanol, a toxic substance.

The gin was sold in a store in the north of the country, and traces of methanol were found in samples of the drink confiscated by the police. Four people were arrested on suspicion of selling counterfeit gin, including the manufacturer of the drink and the owner of the stall.

The police also closed the production facility that created the poisonous drink. A senior official from the Uganda Standards Institute stated that “criminals appear to have intentionally and illegally used methanol as a cheap way to increase the strength of gin.”

Follow us on Telegram

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.