The goal of treatment of constipation is the formation of habits a normal bowel movement. Normal is easy, fast and painless secretion clearance (not liquid), but soft stools, with a frequency of 1-2 times a day to 3 times a week. In most cases, treatment of constipation it is possible to organize at home.
The removal of dense feces from the intestines (first aid for constipation)
To release the intestines from the dense, voluminous stool can be thus:
- Use glycerin suppository. Glycerin suppository can be used for the treatment of constipation in children and adults and during pregnancy. Bowel movements occur 15-30 minutes after injection of a candle.
- If you can not buy glycerin suppository – make an enema with 1 liter of warm boiled water with the addition of 3 tablespoons of salt. You can also use an oil enema (10-15 ml of vegetable oil). The use of enemas should be done with great care not to injure the intestines. If you don’t know how to put an enema – better to use laxatives.
- Very quickly and effectively resolve help laxatives constipation medications (see below).
Strong, effective and quick laxatives causing bowel movement within 5-10 minutes after ingestion
The dose for adults and children over 6 years: 1 tablet (5-10 mg, 0.3 mg per kg of body weight) 1 time before Breakfast
Dose for adults: 50-360 mg tablet orally, 1 time per day
Ketamine – used only rarely, only in cases of ineffectiveness of all other laxatives.
Dose for adults: 15-60 ml orally 1 times.
Strong, effective, but slow laxatives that induce bowel movements through 10-12 hours after admission
Picosulfate sodium (Guttalaks, Lexical, Slable)
The initial dose for adults: 12 drops, take at night.
Laxatives plant extracts of aloe, the Seine, buckthorn and rhubarb
These drugs cause a bowel movement in 10-16 hours after ingestion. With prolonged use they can cause intestinal and other dangerous complications.
The dose for adults and children over 6 years: 0.12-0.25 g (5 ml) per day, orally, 1 time.
Safe slow laxatives that can be used for long-term treatment of constipation
Lactulose is a carbohydrate, which is broken down by intestinal microflora and promotes water retention in the stool.
Drugs lactulose (Duphalac, Portalac) have a strong, but sustained laxative effect and can be used for the treatment of chronic constipation in children and adults.
The drug is recommended to be taken in the morning after Breakfast.
Dose of lactulose for adults is an average of 30-45 ml per day. Effect develops within approximately 2 days after taking the medicine.
For children the exact dosage of lactulose is selected depending on age, but on average is 7.5 ml per day.
Polyethylene Glycol (Forlax)
Polyethylene glycol is not broken down in the intestine and better tolerated than lactulose (causes bloating). These medications can be used for the treatment of constipation in adults for several months or even years.
The dosage is selected individually and the average is from 20 to 60 g per day.
- Frequent use of laxatives aloe, Senna, buckthorn, rhubarb and tools such as Bisacodyl, castor oil, saline enemas. With prolonged use (over two weeks), these groups laxatives are addictive and can trigger serious side effects.
- If necessary, long-term treatment, these drugs can be done only under the supervision of a physician. If you notice the need to use funds from constipation occurs more often – be sure to consult your doctor for the planning of safer and more effective treatment.
- In any case, do not take laxatives in the presence of abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting the reason that you do not know
- Laxatives medications can reduce the effectiveness of some other drugs. Therefore, if you are already taking any other medication before taking laxatives, be sure to read the instructions to them or seek advice from your doctor. Try not to take laxatives for 2 hours before and 2 hours after taking other medications.
- Any laxatives should only be used in case of treatment failure supplements with dietary fiber.
The best (most effective and safe) laxatives are considered to be natural dietary supplements that contain fiber are described below, as well as preparations of lactulose and polyethylene glycol.
Supplementation with dietary fibre have a very strong and long-lasting effect, in a natural way stimulate the bowels and help normalize the composition of intestinal microflora.
Prevent the recurrence of constipation (treatment frequent constipation)
As shown above, frequent constipation, usually is a result of one or more violations of a healthy lifestyle (poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, etc.) Therefore, effective treatment frequent constipation is the following:
- Proper nutrition (diet)
- Changing lifestyle and regular exercise
- With the changing lifestyle and dietary habits to normalization of bowel movements, laxatives are recommended special medicines that are not addictive and can be used for a long time, without risk to health. To a “safe laxative” include supplements for fiber and bran.
< Pairedness stattmatten >