The remains of a unique species of dinosaurs discovered in Greenland
He was the ancestor of the greatest creatures on earth – sauropods.
European paleontologists re-examined the fossil, which appeared in 1994 in Greenland. Then the remains were attributed to the well-studied Plateosaurus. However, with the advent of new technologies, it became clear: this is a new species that had not been encountered anywhere before, Chronicle.info reports with reference to Channel 24.
The new dinosaur was named & # 171; Issi saaneq & # 187;, which means & # 171; Cold bone & # 187;. The find has already been documented in an open access peer-reviewed biodiversity science journal.
What is known about the new dinosaur
- In total, two fossilized skulls fell into the hands of the researchers.
- Both belonged to dinosaurs of the adolescent stage of development – one early, the second late.
- According to scientists in their article, the remains are very old – they at least 214 million years old.
- At that time, most of the known species of dinosaurs did not yet exist.
- Thanks to microcomputed tomography, which allows you to see the smallest features of the bones inside the fossils, it was found that the bones did not belong to Plateosaurus trossingensis, as was previously thought, analysis of the finds showed that they have a lot of differences.
- For example, these species have special appendages and holes on their turtles that Plateosaurs do not.
- Issi saaneq still shows some common features with them, which confused would scientists in 1994.
- The new species has now been classified as a sauropodomorph.
- This means that it was the ancestor of the greatest creatures on earth – sauropods.
Scanning dinosaur bones Issi saaneq/Photo Diversity
Most likely, this species had a modest size: from 3 to 10 meters. He ate plant foods and migrated in the wake of the movement of parts of the supercontinent. Around that time, Pangea began to split, the Atlantic Ocean appeared, so Issi saaneq ended up in modern Greenland.
- In India, they learned how to make leather from coconut water
- Enough for everyone: scientists have figured out how much oxygen is on the Moon
- Cities that may be under water in case of flooding have been named
- Geniuses among us: seven signs have been named Increased Intelligence
- Pfizer Coronavirus Pills Efficacy Named