The detention of Saakashvili: all the details and the reaction of the world community
Mikheil Saakashvili was detained in Georgia.
What is known about the detention, why the former president of Georgia returned there and why he did not do it before, reports Chronicle.info with reference to Channel 24.
Saakashvili was detained in Georgia : how it happened
Saakashvili publicly & nbsp; at the beginning of September 2021 & nbsp; stated that he had & nbsp; intention to come to Georgia & nbsp; on the day of municipal elections on October 2.
- The words of the politician were not very much believed in Georgia: for example, the head of the ruling party & # 171; Georgian Dream & # 187; Irakli Kobakhidze said that Saakashvili simply won't dare to return & nbsp; .
- In response, the former President of Georgia (2004-2013) and the head of the Regional State Administration of Odessa Region (2015-2016) & nbsp; published a photo of the tickets, & nbsp; according to which he was supposedly going to arrive in Tbilisi on October 2. However & nbsp; Saakashvili emerged in Georgia on the 1st.
There he – first according to rumors, and then & nbsp; according to the official confirmation & nbsp; of the head of the Georgian government Irakli Garibashvili – & nbsp; was detained and taken to the penitentiary. & Nbsp; Somewhat later:
- < li> A video of Saakashvili's detention has appeared on the Internet.
- And a message that the politician is on a hunger strike & nbsp; and demands a meeting with the Ukrainian consul.
Recall, & nbsp; Saakashvili is a citizen of Ukraine & nbsp; therefore, his detention in Georgia created friction between the countries. Of Ukraine and did not visit the territory of Georgia.
Why Saakashvili lived in Ukraine and did not return to Georgia earlier
After Saakashvili ceased to be president, in Georgia they started against him & nbsp; several criminal proceedings. & nbsp; According to & nbsp; Wikipedia, already in 2014 he was summoned – first as a witness, then as an accused – to the prosecutor's office in at least ten cases.
- However, Saakashvili was then already in Ukraine, where the fifth President Petro & nbsp; Poroshenko granted the Georgian politician not only citizenship, but also a high position.
- In 2015, Saakashvili became the head of the Odessa Regional State Administration.
Then there was & nbsp; a scandal with Saakashvili's deprivation of citizenship & nbsp; in 2017, a breakthrough across the Polish border and the return of citizenship by the already new President Zelensky. & Nbsp; During the last term, Saakashvili became the head of the Executive Committee of Reforms.
- And in 2018 year Saakashvili in Georgia & nbsp; in absentia was sentenced & nbsp; – to 3 years of imprisonment for abuse of power when pardoning those convicted in the case of the murder of businessman Sandro Girgvliani.
- And to 6 more years – for involvement to the beating of deputy Valery Gelashvili in 2005.
Since then, Saakashvili has not traveled to Georgia, because & nbsp; they promised to detain him immediately. & Nbsp; This is exactly what happened on October 1, 2021.
Why did Saakashvili return to Georgia exactly by October 2
The politician stated several times that he wants to be in Georgia on October 2 – on the day of municipal elections – in order to & # 171; defend the expression of will & # 187; people and & nbsp; & # 171; together with them to take part in the rescue of Georgia & # 187;. & nbsp; He was ready for his detention, because he published a pre-recorded video on Facebook, in which he said:
Now I will probably be detained in Tbilisi, and I am not afraid. & Nbsp; Let's all go to the polls tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow – we will celebrate the victory. & Nbsp; And I am with you.
Saakashvili also urged people after the closure of polling stations & # 171; to go to the centers of cities, villages and together & nbsp; to defend the won victory & # 187; < /strong>. He probably hopes for the defeat of the ruling party and early parliamentary elections in 2022.
- At least, such an agreement was in the document signed to resolve the crisis in 2020 under the auspices of the President of the European Council Charles Michel.
- However, the ruling party & # 171; Georgian Dream & # 187; withdrew from this agreement, therefore & nbsp; what will actually be the consequences & nbsp; of Saakashvili's arrival in Georgia and the results of the municipal elections in 2021 is not yet clear.
How to officials from various countries reacted to Saakashvili's detention
Representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Oleg & nbsp; Nikolenko tweeted, & nbsp; that the ministry summoned the Georgian ambassador because of the detention of Mikhail Saakashvili in Georgia (after all, he has Ukrainian citizenship).
- At the Ministry foreign affairs hope to receive & nbsp; & # 171; official information on the grounds and circumstances of such detention & # 187; .
- Also, the representative of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr & nbsp; Zelensky & nbsp; Sergey Nikiforov commented on this incident. & Nbsp; According to him, & nbsp; the head of state is concerned about the detention of Saakashvili.
In the & nbsp; prosecutor's office & nbsp; Georgia was told that Ukrainian citizenship would not help Saakashvili, because & nbsp; the ex-president committed crimes on Georgian territory. & nbsp; Georgian President Salome Zurabishvili has already assured that Saakashvili may not even hope for a & nbsp; pardon .
- At the same time, in the United States, State Department spokesman Ned Price reacted to the situation with Saakashvili as follows: & nbsp; & # 171; We received a message about the arrest of Mikheil Saakashvili and are closely following the development of events & # 187 ;.
- As reported by & nbsp; & # 171; Voice of America & # 187; & nbsp; The White House called on the Georgian authorities & # 171; to ensure fair treatment of Mr. Saakashvili, in accordance with Georgian legislation and Georgia's international human rights obligations & # 187;.
Please note: the incident with Saakashvili was accompanied by another extraordinary event.
- Verkhovna Rada deputy from & # 171; Servant of the People & # 187; & nbsp; Elizaveta Yasko & nbsp; published a video message & nbsp; in which she supported the Georgian-Ukrainian politician and admitted that they are with him & # 171; together & # 187 ;.
- The same video appeared on the Facebook page & nbsp; of Mikhail Saakashvili himself. & Nbsp; At the same time, the policy supported on Facebook and his & nbsp; < strong> official wife & nbsp; Sandra Roelofs.