Tanzania: Massive turtle meat poisoning

Tanzania: Mass Turtle Meat Poisoning

Seven people, including a small child, died after eating turtles, which turned out to be poisonous. The incident took place on the island of Pemba in Tanzania, according to the BBC.

Only five families ate turtle meat. 38 people were hospitalized, most of them were quickly discharged. Three more people are in the hospital.

Turtle meat is a common delicacy for local residents. But it can be dangerous and toxic in rare cases, causing ahelonitoxism, a rare type of poisoning from turtle meat.

Scientists have suggested that the meat of turtles can become poisonous due to the fact that reptiles eat poisonous algae. The exact reasons for this phenomenon are unknown.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.