Iran: Two people sentenced to death for terrorist attack in Shiraz, where 13 people died
News » Incidents
An Iranian court has sentenced two people to death for an October attack on an Islamic shrine in the southern city of Shiraz that claimed more than a dozen lives, the judiciary said on Saturday.
The couple were found guilty of aiding and abetting “corruption on the ground, armed insurrection and acts against national security,” according to the judiciary's website Mizan Online, citing Fars Provincial Chief Justice Kazem Mousavi.
Moussavi said that they “took a direct part in the armament, supply, logistics and leadership of the main culprit of the attack” at the Shah Cherag mausoleum on October 26, in which 13 people died and 30 were injured.
According to him, three other defendants in the case were sentenced to 5, 15 and 25 years in prison for membership in a Muslim Islamic State extremist group.
He added that all sentences could be appealed to the Supreme Court.
According to Mizan, the main perpetrator of the attack, who was named by the Iranian media as Hamed Badakhshan, died from injuries sustained during his arrest.
In November, the Islamic Republic claimed that 26 “takfiri terrorists” had been arrested. from Afghanistan, Azerbaijan and Tajikistan were arrested in connection with the attack.
In Shiite-dominated Iran, the term takfiri usually refers to jihadists or adherents of radical Sunni Islam.
Follow us on Telegram