December 5 – Thursday
Today, December 5, the faithful honor the memory of St. Procopius Reader, and also celebrate the international day of volunteers. Your attention traditions and superstitions on this day – find out what you can and cannot do!
Date 5 Dec made history several significant events and holidays.
TODAY WAS A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY
The Church calendar today celebrate the memory of St. Procopius Reader, who in the IV century were martyred and suffered for the faith. The legend says that Procopius was born and lived in Jerusalem, serving as a reader in Cesaris Church.
BIRTHDAY: WHO CELEBRATES THE DAY OF THE ANGEL
Thursday, 5 December, nameday of the holders of such names: Arkhip, Alex, Athanasius, Valery, Basil, Vladimir, Gerasim, Ivan, Ilya, Maxim, Michael, Peter, Paul, Thaddeus, Theodore. Don’t forget to congratulate the heroes of the occasion with the Day of the angel!
THIS DAY IN HISTORY: INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS AND EVENTS
- The statistician’s day in Ukraine
- World soil day
- World volunteers day
- 1484 – Pope innocent VIII in his bull gave wide powers to the inquisitors in the witch hunts
- 1492 during his first expedition of Christopher Columbus discovered the island of Santo Domingo (now Haiti). Before that, he opened the Bahamas
- 1496 – King of Portugal Manuel I ordered to expel Jews from the country
- 1766 – James Christie, Sr., a former naval officer, held his first auction in London. Now the auction “Christie’s” (along with the auction “Sotheby’s”) is the most famous in the world
- 1848 – U.S. President James Polk confirmed the discovery of gold in California, what triggered the gold rush of 1849
- 1879 – in the United States patented the first automatic telephone exchange – PBX
- 1908 – in Pittsburgh the first game of American football
- 1929 – the United States has created the world’s first nudist organization
- 1933 – in the U.S. abolished prohibition, imposed in 1919
- 1949 Jerusalem proclaimed capital of Israel
- 1971 – Buenos Aires (Argentina) opened a monument to Taras Shevchenko
- 2001 – started the first all-Ukrainian census of the population
WHO WAS BORN DECEMBER 1,
- 1867 – józef Pilsudski, Polish politician and military commander, leader of the Second Polish Republic (1918-1922, 1926-1935), who is considered the father of Polish independence
- 1901 – Walt Disney, American animator (animator), Director, producer
- 1931 – Grigor Tyutyunnik, Ukrainian Soviet writer
- 1946 – josé Carreras, Spanish Opera singer
- 1966 – Patricia Kaas, French pop singer (in the world sold more than 17 million of its music records)
- 1969 – Catherine Tate, British actress, comedian, and screenwriter
FOLK SUPERSTITIONS AND TRADITIONS
- Warm weather – winter will be snowy and long
- Came Prokop – dug up the snow, in the snow treads off – road digs
- Prokop track Procope, and Catherine (7 Dec) tamp
- Prokop in the snow treads off – road paving
- Soot broke out at a fire – the weather is snowy and cloudy
- Wolves 5 December close to the house – winter is harsh and cold, but spring will come soon
WHAT NOT TO DO TODAY
- Swear. Try to control your emotions and be sensible.
- Do not borrow the neighbors anything, because you can give happiness.
- Don’t go to far, stay home. Dedicate your free time of self-development: read a new book, watch a cult movie or if you have long wanted to learn a foreign language – start now.