All of us sometimes head out trivia: forget to call a friend, leave on the stove potatoes, fascinated by the interesting book, remember that I had to congratulate a relative with a birthday the next day.
Why is this happening? Indeed, the expression “a memory like a sieve” only applies to us girls? And how do we learn to remember all the details? About all this we will tell you right now, reports Rus.Media.
The mechanism of our memory
In fact, our memory is arranged in such a way that we do not forget forever. Even the unnecessary information is not completely removed, and only becomes less available and aktiviziruyutsya only directly in the required time. It just is difficult, as traces of such memory is erased. Simply put, under the right conditions and a strong desire we can always remember the name of the boy who didn’t share a toy in a kindergarten or the start date of the Spanish-American war. We remember everything, just sometimes I can’t instantly get to the right information.
If any information for a long time is not used, the brain gives the command of “forgetting”, and it gradually fades to the background, the bins of our memory. This is a natural process that saves a person’s memory from overloading. According to the German psychologist William stern, the energy reserve in our body are limited and therefore insignificant things fade quickly from memory to free resources, you need to remember really important things.
The psychology of forgetting
However, sometimes we still forget something very important. Blame for this is often purely psychological reasons. Probably each of you in my life been in a situation where you decided to cook dinner, put on the stove the potatoes, promising himself not to forget to turn it off in exactly 20 minutes, and then distracted you call best friends, and only after the conversation is over, after 40 minutes, in my head something clicked “Plate!”. The result — a spoiled dinner, burnt to the pan of potatoes and a complete misunderstanding of how you were able to forget about it.
It happened because of the struggle between the two intentions: you were going at the same time boil the potatoes and chat with a friend. In such situations, the brain changes very often our attention is on one thing and usually more attractive, thereby helping us to avoid internal conflict. This explains why we can forget about taking antibiotics to drink alcohol at a merry party, and spend a noisy night at the disco, completely forgetting about the fact that in the morning waiting for an important exam and not to congratulate the birthday of someone from relatives, having an interesting book. And, by the way, also works on men’s memory: remember how many times your beloved came back from the store without bread, but with beer, which somehow never forgot?
Switch to a nice
According to psychologists, forgetting one of the intentions depends on the nature of the activities in which we engage after this intention was made. If it turns out to be a very exciting and enjoyable, it completely takes over our consciousness, and it is not even a place for a more important purpose. For example, you go out to buy food for the cat, and on the way see the announcement of a big sale at a Shoe store and decide to run there. In the end, coming home with three pairs of new shoes, and original purpose are remembered only when the threshold you are met by unhappy mewing of a cat.
Sometimes the reason for forgetting may be not only shifted attention to the more interesting case, but unpleasant associations. For example, head for the tenth time asking you to call one of your customers on the name Gregory, but for some reason you third day it don’t. Just when you think about the call, from memory persistently gets unpleasant phone conversation with another man who bears the same name, and of course you want faster to forget about it. This so-called “mechanism of repression” spoken of even Sigmund Freud.
How can one learn not to forget about something important?
Despite the fact that forgetting is a natural process, sometimes it brings us a lot of trouble. If you catch yourself thinking that often started to forget really important things, check out six simple rules that help you remember need.
- Do not hold out on two important things at once. If you go to the store for cat food, don’t go on the road and even in the Shoe where not going: you can do it after coming back home and feed your pet.
- Vossozdanie conditions. If you feel that I forgot something important, try to reproduce the conditions in which memorization. You got distracted by a phone conversation with a friend, but you think you forgot something, go back to where you ran for the phone in the kitchen, and you instantly think of the potatoes. If you can’t remember the name of the person with whom you are already familiar, try to the smallest detail to recall your first meeting. In the process of Recalling the circumstances, a name may itself emerge from memory.
- Create meaningful code. If you need to remember some numbers or words, try to make them into something meaningful. For example, the number 4582 is the year of the great Patriotic War and the year of birth, and number 1256 — the number of the day of birth of your mother and her age. From the list of foods to buy, you can come up with some funny Association, which immediately takes you to the desired word. For example, CRAB, sausage, rice, oranges, and broccoli. This method is not only a great workout for your memory, but also a great way to cheer yourself up.
- Remember quick forgetting is complete. Remember that the actions you’ve completed, tend to be forgotten very quickly. Not to forget to give my friend take his book, leave nedochitannaya the last few pages and read them on the way to his house. Not to forget about the sale that you want to visit, hang in a prominent place any thing purchased in the past — it will remind you about where you were going to go the other day.
- Reward yourself. Every day, every little encouragement can increase the likelihood that you will think about your intention. Promise yourself to buy your favorite chocolate after I sent a working draft of an important email or take the call.
- Don’t do breaks. Constantly work on improving your memory: learn by heart the poems retell the story aloud read books, play puzzle games, crossword puzzles and crossword puzzles, and solve puzzles.
- “Feed” the brain. Don’t forget that the brain definitely need reinforcements in the form of vitamins A, C, E, K and B vitamins as well as folic acid and fatty acids omega-3. Eat more foods that contain these nutrients or take vitamin complex.
If you follow these simple guidelines from any of the others you will never hear that you have a “maiden memory. And yet — you will save yourself from camobreco in forgetfulness and burnt pots.