Many people, especially representatives of the older age groups, a familiar tingling sensation, “pins and needles”, confusion, numbness in the hands, especially at night.
However, the symptom may occur at any age. The main and most common reason for numb hands at night, is cervical osteochondrosis, or a buildup of salts in the cervical spine. The disease is found in 70% of the population over the age of 50 years, but the process starts after overcoming a 30-year milestone. Now increasingly found low back pain in adolescents, reports Rus.Media.
Among other reasons of discomfort in hands isolated disease of the heart and circulatory system, atherosclerosis, atherothrombosis vascular, diabetes, hypertension, arthritis small joints, inflammation in the nerves, lack of vitamins of group B. In the absence of any pathology numbness in the hands can occur if mismatched pillow or nefiziologichnoe position of the body, primarily, arms, during sleep. A lot of people has the habit to sleep with the throw up or placed under your head with your arms, which hinders blood circulation in the upper extremities.
As numb hands night
Unpleasant sensations can be very diverse in its localization. Very rare to find numbness of the entire hand. Often numb some part of her that completely depends on the cause of the disease:
1. Cervical osteochondrosis, spondylosis, hernia or protrusion of intervertebral discs of the cervical spine, especially when the pathological process is localized in the lower cervical segments (C5-C7). It is with this part of the spinal cord out the nerves going to the hands. Thus, depending on the suffering nerve root numbness may be localized:
- on the inner side of the arm, from the shoulder to the tips 5 and half of 4 fingers (7);
- on the back of the arm and forearm, posterior surface of fingers 2 and 3 (S6);
- on the side of the hand until thumb and index finger (C5).
The pathological process severe lower cervical Department the location of the numbness may be different. Headache in cervical osteochondrosis – not a rarity.
2. Carpal tunnel syndrome – compression of the nerves going to the brush, in a narrow channel formed by bones of the wrist. Occurs with prolonged activities associated with the same type of load on the brush-type flexion-extension movements (computer work, playing musical instruments, the Assembly of parts, the conveyor). There is numbness of the entire brush or parts of it is strictly below the wrist, sometimes there is numbness of the fingers. The overlying departments hands in the pathological process are not involved.
3. Polyarthritis of the small joints of the hand. It is characterized by the presence of manifestations only in the fingers.
4. In pathology of the shoulder or elbow joints, the symptoms will occur in the lower parts of the upper limbs.
5. Diabetes and other metabolic disorders (diseases of the liver, kidneys, endocrine pathology). This can be attributed to the abuse of alcohol and nicotine, since the mechanism of development of pathology is very similar. Numbness has a bottom-up nature, starts with the more remote departments, and gradually, over time, “rises up. This happens as attracting larger vessels. Usually affects just two hands, the feeling is symmetrical.
6. For hypertension mutism hands at night only appears at elevated blood pressure level.
7. Of particular importance is the numbness of the hand in diseases of the heart. Here we should pay attention to what arm going numb. If discomfort occurs in the right hand, this with a large percentage of probability it is possible to “write off” on the cervical osteochondrosis. But the numbness left arm can be a symptom of serious heart problems such as angina or heart attack. If numbness of the left hand appeared suddenly, especially at night, and persists for hours, appeal to the doctor necessarily.
What if in your sleep numb hands
1. Try to eliminate all possible factors:
- replace the pillow;
- choose a more comfortable position for sleeping, often changing the position, not to allow vessels to perejimati;
- to exclude alcohol and nicotine, especially at night;
- before going to bed to deal with work related stress on the hands.
2. Exercises if you experience numbness of hands at night:
- not getting out of bed, lie on your back and pull your hands up, bend and straighten the fingers 50 times, then put the arms along the body and repeat the exercise;
- rotational motion in the wrists;
- stand up and lock arms behind the castle, try to raise them as high as possible;
- in mild cases it is enough just to shake hands.
3. To relax tense neck muscles can be easy self-massage
before bed and during the day. Simply RUB the neck with your palms, you can use anti-inflammatory ointments (Nise, Fastum gel).
4. In the absence of contraindications and depending on the reasons for that can be used physiotherapy treatments:
- magnetic therapy in the neck;
- phonophoresis, darsonvalization;
- paraffin on the hands, forearms;
- electrophoresis with lydasum on the carpal tunnel.
5. Folk remedies:
- honey poultice: spread honey on numb areas of the hands in a thin layer, wrap and leave on all night, the course of 7-10 procedures.
- rosemary marsh: 5 tbsp. minced raw pour 1 Cup of Apple vinegar, infuse for weeks and use for rubbing numb areas;
- a glass of hot water every morning on an empty stomach will help strengthen the walls of blood vessels.